Switch to our new Prategiano website with the latest fotos !
Trail riding in Tuscany Italy
Equestrian vacations in Maremma Toscana
- Equestrian vacations for beginner riders: Discovery Week
- Trail riding for experienced riders who want enough time to pursue other interests: Satellite Rides
- Equestrian vacations and Trail Rides for experienced trail riders who want to ride full-day for a week
Trail ride during which you will discover untouched regions of Tuscany Italy
1. day A light day ride to a Roman thermal bath in the Cecina valley will allow you to get to know your horse and the surroundings.
2. day Huge old trees and thick undergrowth are an indication of the native forests of the Alta Maremma Toscana, Tuscany. During the picnic you enjoy a wonderful view to the sea. In the evening we reach the magnificent Renaissance estate of Anqua. The horses will stay over in the meadows belonging to this friendly Sienese noble family.
3. day Trail riding from Anqua to Lagoni, a hot springs area. The landscape loses its wildness to more charming agricultural developments typical of centuries of occupation. We pass by abandoned farm houses, cross fields and small rivers until we leave the horses overnight close to the village of Fosini.
4. day Not far from Fosini lies a well-known cultural monument in Tuscany - the abbey ruins of San Galgano. Once we have viewed the legendary walls of this historically-significant church, we gallop into wide open meadows and follow the legendary "Ancient path of the Maremma" until the castle "Luriano", where our horses stay 2 nights and have a day to relax.
5. day Relax or discover the area on your own. We would also be glad to organize excursions to Massa Marittima, Siena or to the sea.
6. day The next morning we cross the beautiful grounds belonging to the Countess of Luriano and move on to the romantic riverbed of the Merse. Watch how the trout flash through the rushing water away from the hooves of the horses. One last time experience the soft beauty of the Maremma hills and after a steep climb, turn back to the Rifugio Prategiano.
Trail to the Sea
Trail riding to one of the best beaches of Marmma Toscana
1. day: Heading towards the coast, enjoy an adventurous ride through the thick, unspoiled Macchia. Overwhelmed by the variety of wild Maremma animal and plant life, we reach a typical Maremma farm in the late afternoon.
2. day: In the morning we ride along the typically cultivated agriculture area, passing by olive groves and vineyards. Over old trade trails that go through cork oak and Mediterranean bushlands we move closer to the coast.
3. day: A gallop along white sand beaches, a refreshing bath in the ocean - on this day you will experience the sea. Mediterranean plant life, steep rocky shores and romantic sand coves as far as the eye can see. After a picnic in an idyllic nature park near Follonica, you can devote yourself to the beach, with or without your horse.
4. day: A day of rest for the horses gives you the possibility to follow your own plans.
5. day: We will cross over to Massa Marittima. A trot along the gray-green shimmering olive groves, a gallop through endless cypress rows? These are the pictures of Tuscany and horse holidays you will never forget.
6. day: After a difficult climb and one last look at the sea we enjoy the cool shadows of the chestnut forests on the way back to Rifugio Prategiano.
Out of our 14 Maremma horses you will find one that suits you:
large and small, sturdy and fit, playful young ones and reliable,
experienced horses. What they all have in common is a balanced character,
sure-footedness and good condition. Their overall will to survive
in the earlier wilderness conditions of the Maremma has created
a strong warm-blooded race, and an ideal trail horse for your equestrian vacations in Tuscany.
Still today the horses are bred and raised all year in the wide
meadows. Intense friendships and an organized hierarchy mark the
life of our horses. Through the security of the herd they develop
a quiet, strong character. They are experienced on difficult land
conditions. We ride without strong aids, in English or trail saddles,
and on a loose rein.
Would you like to receive further information or do
you want to book a room in our hotel? Please write (email@example.com)
or call us (0039 0566 997700) ! We will be glad to help you.